So, a company named Paizo has been working on an updated version of D&D 3.5 rules, called Pathfinder RPG. They’ve had a well-received public beta going for a while now, and just released a finalized version of the core rules. It’s designed to be as compatible as possible with existing 3.5 supplements, so it would be possible for us to switch to Pathfinder. Is anyone interested?
Looking at the PDF copy of the beta rules I have, it looks like we can expect changes similar to the following:
- Casters can use 0-level spells at-will
- Noticeably simpler and only slightly less flexible skill system. Also, cross-class skills are actually usable at higher levels
- All sorts of interesting bonuses to most base classes, e.g.:
- Druid: Wild Shape earlier (lv. 4) and more often
- Fighter: even more bonuses to AC and attack rolls
- Sorc: assorted bag o’ goodies
- Favored Soul: Will doesn’t have to learn anything new if he doesn’t want to, but might be able to convince me that he should get bonuses as well
- Simpler grapple rules! (I really, really hope)
- Feats every 2 levels instead of every 3
- See the entry in their FAQ detailing the sorts of changes there are
Anyway, feel free to discuss this. Also, feel free to ask me questions! I’d be willing to use either system, so it’s really a question of whether you guys want to switch over. Comments?